You know... over the past many years in software development, I've seen and gone through several projects and seen a bunch of teams do their work. I've worked with several managers and directors and I've learnt a few golden principles of leadership:
1. You need to be a master of the area relevant area that you're going to be working on.
2. Lead by example: set high standards and then meet them. The second part is critical.
3. Be the hardest worker on your team.
4. Have a clear vision and work towards it.
5. Know your goals.
6. Do not get sidetracked. Sidetracking is a killer disease.
7. Have a heart. A leader doesn't remain a leader if he / she doesn't have a heart.